LinkedIn updates are one of the most important means of reminding your contacts – and the LinkedIn community – that you are still around. That is a good thing to do. However, your LinkedIn updates serve other purposes, too.
You can engage with your LinkedIn community using updates, especially if you make a habit of posting useful, relevant and interesting material That is, use LinkedIn updates to help your LinkedIn audience.
Do so, and they will do more than just remember you. They may decide to look out for your updates.
As a result you will start to build your online reputation. This will be helpful to you in your career.
How do you use the LinkedIn Updates function?
- Make sure you are logged in to LinkedIn.
- Go to “Home” on your profile and to the top left of the screen. You will see the term “Home” just below the LinkedIn logo.
- You will also see an invitation to post an update in the box that sits alongside your image.
- Type in your update.
- If at all possible include a link, preferably one that has an image associated with it.
- Then remember to SHARE the update. See the tab in the bottom right of the example below.
When you have shared your update, you are ready for people to come over and Like, Comment or Share what you have written.
That’s it. Try it out. Let me know what you share.